Here at Nature’s Sunshine, we like to stay on top of the most relevant health news - and lately, that means keeping up to date on building immunity. The main question we have is this: Is there a way we can protect ourselves from viral infections? You'll be happy to know that the answer is a resounding yes. At Nature’s Sunshine, we wholeheartedly believe that the right combination of an active lifestyle, the best herbal supplementation, and clean eating helps protect our health and wellbeing.
Exercise has been shown to increase cells that attack bacteria that can trigger upper respiratory infections. Exercise can increase the number of antibodies and white blood cells moving throughout the body, so they may detect viruses sooner. Getting a total of 20 to 30 minutes of daily physical activity can boost many defences of the immune system. Keep your workouts moderate; high-intensity activity, such as a marathon running or intense gym training, may decrease the amount of white blood cells circulating through the body.
Immune boosting herbs
Here at Nature’s Sunshine, we believe in the power of herbs. Herbs have been helping people build and support healthy immune systems for thousands of years. So, here’s a list of some of favourite immune boosting and common cold fighting herbs:
- Andrographis has gained popularity in Western countries as a treatment for upper respiratory tract infections and the common cold. Not only can Andrographis help treat the symptoms of the common cold such as a runny nose, headaches, coughing and sore throat. Andrographis has immunostimulatory actions which assists in improving and strengthening your immune system which will assist in general health and wellbeing
- Cat’s claw also known as Una de gato is traditionally used in South America for promoting resistance and healthy immune function.
- Echinacea has traditionally been used for a number of conditions, the main one being to support the immune system. It can be used against infections, and to support the body’s resistance to infection.
- Olive leaf may assist in the maintenance of a healthy immune system and general wellbeing. It has been found to contain a phytochemical called oleuropein where studies suggest it has anti-bacterial properties.
- Has traditionally been used as an anti-inflammatory and anti-catarrhal, helping soothe the mucous membranes and relieve congestion.
How Clean Eating can boost your immune system
How does what we eat effect the health of our immune system? Age-old wisdom says that eating well is the best way to strengthen our bodies and prevent illness. But how true is it that clean eating prevents disease and virus? We'll break it down for you.
What Is Clean eating?
Clean eating is a type of diet that involves eating foods in their most raw or whole forms. The enemy of clean eating is processed foods, which means that the best foods for this diet are farm-to-table, bought from a whole foods market, or are otherwise fresh. Clean eating is a great way to make sure that all the food you eat is as rich in nutrients and vitamins as possible.
Tips to Start Clean Eating
It might seem like a daunting task to start clean eating, but there are several easy things you can do to start clean eating today. In fact, clean eating as a diet is mostly about paying attention to what you're putting in your body. Some tips to start clean eating include:
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables
- Avoid processed or refined foods
- No added sugars
- Read all food labels
- Limit alcohol intake
Additionally, there are foods that are high in zinc which can help boost immunity. You can use clean eating with foods such as red meat, shellfish, legumes, seeds and nuts, eggs, and whole grains.
Little efforts and tweaks in your daily routine, can help support a healthy immune system. There are other measures you can take to stay as healthy as possible. Ensure you get enough sleep, try and reduce your stress levels, practise social distancing and wash your hands with soap regularly. These immune-strengthening tips may seem obvious, but it’s easy to forget them until after you get sick. Don’t wait. Make your immune system stronger today.